Thursday , March 14 2024
EICR London
EICR London

Electrical Hazards and Preventable Steps of EICR London

Electrical shock and fire are the two most dangerous hazards that electricity can pose. Electric shock is when the body becomes a part of an electric circuit. This can happen when the individual comes into contact with one of the wires of an energized circuit and the ground or a metallic component that has been energized through contact with an electrical conductor.

An electrical shock’s severity and effect depend on many factors. They include the path through the body, the current flowing through it, the time spent exposed, and the skin’s condition. Water is a strong conductor of electric current, which allows current to flow more freely through wet and wet skin. The shock may cause mild to severe pain or even cardiac arrest. EICR London can be viewed under normal conditions. Most electrical circuits can supply up to 20,000 mA of current flow.

Not only are there electrical shock hazards, but sparks from an electrical device can also be used as ignition sources for flammable or explosive vapors or combustible material. Electrical power loss can cause dangerous situations. If a fridge or freezer is damaged, toxic or volatile vapors can be released. Fume hoods can stop functioning, allowing vapors into the laboratory. Safety mixing of reagents could be compromised if mechanical or magnetic stirrers cease to work.

Electric Shock

Many laboratory equipments can be subject to electric shock. Be careful when using any electrically powered equipment, especially if it is susceptible to water or chemical spillage. When a human body completes the electrical circuit, it can cause an electric shock. Contacting a metallic piece of equipment can cause an electrical shock. The following factors will determine how severe an electrical shock is:

  • The body’s path
  • The duration of the exposure
  • It doesn’t matter if your skin is dry or wet

The victim of an electrical shock may become unconscious. If an electrical shock victim is still in contact with a live power source, you should turn it off or press the emergency power cut button before giving aid. Don’t touch anyone still in connection with a live power source. You may be electrocuted.

Resistance Heating

Even if an individual survives shock episodes, heat generated from the current can cause damage to tissues, nerves, or muscles. The heat generated is resistive heat, such as what would be produced in small space heaters with heating coils. External electrical burns are usually obvious. However, internal burns can cause significant body damage, including the loss of critical organs and the nervous system.

Spark Ignition Sources

Induction motors should replace series-wound motors in laboratory applications. These motors generate sparks through the carbon brushes’ contact points. In equipment producing large quantities of vapor, like blenders, evaporators, and stirrers, it is essential to use non-sparking engines. Equivalent equipment and other equipment, such as vacuum cleaners or drills, rotary or power tools, are not suitable for use where solvents are used. The fume exhaust system blowers should have a non-sparking fanbase. However, it might be worth purchasing a fully explosive blower unit in emergencies where ignitable gasses are being exhausted.

Any device that has an electrically live circuit making and breaking, such as a thermostat or an on/off switch, can be a source of ignition for flammable gasses or vapors. As with fridges and freezers, special care must be taken to ensure that such ignition sources are eliminated from equipment where vapors could become congested. It can also happen in other equipment like blenders, mixers, and ovens. These devices should be avoided with potentially explosive materials or near them. Read more

About khan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *